Friday, April 9, 2010

Unofficial "Week in Skirts"

It's the kind of weather when I enjoy wearing skirts and dresses anyway, and when I realized that we didn't have dance and theatre this past week (because I really need to wear pants/capris for those classes) I decided that I would take this opportunity to wear skirts and dresses all week. 

When I was little (up til about age 6) Mom, Sarah and I wore dresses so often that I was kinda legalistic in my opinion that all girls should wear skirts. If I was going to be doing something like jumping on a trampoline, then I would just wear some shorts under my skirt in case my skirt flew up. ;)
But then, as we got older, we started wearing shorts and pants more often. The house church that we had been attending kinda fell apart as families moved further away and we started going to a typical Baptist church just up the road from our house. All the girls there were much more immodest than I had ever noticed before, and I was at the age where "fitting in" felt very important. I was still required by my parents to wear dresses or skirts to church, but that was the point where I no longer wanted to wear skirts anymore. That was around age 11 or 12.

We moved, and eventually stopped going to that Baptist church. We joined a homeschool swim club and started joining some of the families in a "home" church that met at the pool on Sundays, and at houses during the off-season. There, where the girls often wore dresses or skirts, I regained a little of my enjoyment of skirts. 

Since then I've worn skirts occasionally. They've always seemed like the best option for dressing up, but I wore jeans and capris and the more modest-length shorts for more casual things. I don't now believe that it's wrong for women to wear pants. Many argue Deuteronomy 22:5: "A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God." I believe this is intended for the practice of transvestism, but even if that isn't the case, when I wear pants I am not wearing men's clothing, I am wearing women's pants. In Bible times, the difference between men's and women's tunics was just as slight as the difference between men's and women's pants today.

That said, however, I have enjoyed my week in skirts (tomorrow is the last day) and I've enjoyed wearing skirts for everyday events. I will probably wear skirts more often, but I will also wear modest pants, capris and *modest* shorts when practical.

Whatever your modesty beliefs, remember that most important is declared in 1 Timothy 2:9-10 and 1 Peter 3:3-4:

"likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works." 1 Tim 2:9-10

Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. 1 Peter 3:3-4

And just for the record, I don't believe those verses are against braiding hair and wearing gold jewelry or pretty clothes... just a reminder that our true beauty is our character as followers of Christ.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment