Monday, February 28, 2011

Healthy Chocoholic?

 I love chocolate. Rich, creamy, smooth chocolate... it's delicious plain, it's yummy in or on ice cream, and almost anything can be improved by adding chocolate.

The only problem? Even the best organic chocolates have undesirable things added to it, like soy lecithin (soy in some form is in nearly everything, and it's not good for you!) or cane sugar (while a better choice than plain sugar, or toxic sweeteners, still a compromise in my quest for truly healthy food).

That's when I found this recipe. How would you like to eat fudge, and have it be so good for you that you don't feel any guilt at all? Actually, it's so good for you that I think of it as yummy medicine. You know, like those flavored gummy vitamins for kids or something? Those always had a weird aftertaste to me, but this is great, I love it! 

Coconut Oil Fudge
1 cup coconut oil (for different consistencies, try gently melting part of the coconut oil in a Pyrex measuring cup placed in a lightly simmering pot of water.)
1 cup honey
1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder

Mix in blender and pour into a parchment-paper-lined 9x9 dish (or loaf pan, but I prefer the way the 9x9 works out). Chill until solid (but not too long, as I discovered if you freeze it too long it's hard to cut), cut into small pieces and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Coconut oil is liquid at 76 degrees, so it's important to keep your fudge cold if you don't want fudge syrup.  

That's the basic recipe, I've tried adding vanilla extract and raw almond butter... I want to try peanut butter soon. I also tried using peppermint hot chocolate from Trader Joe's (which is sweetened, and dampened the guilt-free aspect a little) and that was interesting. Have fun, be creative! Another possibility (especially helpful if you don't like coconut oil) is substituting 1/2 cup of butter for half of the coconut oil. I tried this for my siblings, who currently have an aversion to coconut oil, but then they started eating the plain coconut oil fudge when it ran out, so I figured the appeal of the chocolate won over the slight coconut flavor.

Coconut oil (linked to VitaCost.com, our source for many wonderful, healthy things) is a great source of dietary fat because it goes straight to your liver and is quickly transferred into energy. It is easy to digest, increases metabolism and helps with numerous ailments. It's good for cooking because it is stable at high temperatures. I've been reading The Coconut Oil Miracle and it's just amazing. It's also great for your skin and hair, and so many other things! I highly recommend adding coconut oil (and other forms of coconut!) to your diet.

We use raw honey, and it's so delicious, we eat spoonfuls plain, or eat it with plain raw pecans. Raw honey is very good for you too, being anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. It helps digestion and eases allergies and respiratory problems. 

I'm very excited to have some organic, raw cacao powder. Real chocolate is actually really good for you, a rich source of magnesium and antioxidants. Plus it's just delicious.

With those simple, wonderfully healthy ingredients, I knew this fudge would be good for me. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it this much! I love it so much, I just can't believe it's so healthy! It's not completely guilt-free though... I feel just the tiniest bit guilty when I eat the last 2 pieces and don't leave one for someone else... but then I go make more, and all guilt is assuaged! (Plus I get to have another piece... or two...)

Next up on my list of "Things to Try" is making Fudge-Swirl ice cream in our new ice cream maker...

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear what you think once you've tried it!

    ReplyDelete