Saturday, April 2, 2011

Do you make your bed every morning?

I've always been a "why-make-my-bed-if-I'm-just-going-to-sleep-in-it-again-tonight" person. I used make my bed only when I changed the sheets, or when I knew I'd have guests in my room. But I've been making an effort to change that, for a couple reasons.

First, do you know how long it takes me to make my twin-sized bed? Not long at all. As a matter of fact, when some unexpected company comes, I've even been able to dash up here, and make my bed in about 3 seconds. Granted, that's not as well done as the 1-minute job I just did, but it's better than nothing. And yes, I said I just spent 1 minute making my bed, and it's done. It's completely neat, the covers are straight, and I arranged my decorative pillows in 1 minute. Is anyone really so busy that they can't spare a literal minute to make their bed? I know I'm not too busy; it's laziness and lack of interest that make me want to skip such an extremely short and easy chore. 

(Now, if you're my sister, I understand. She has woken up to the most amazing contortions of sheets and blankets; I'm glad we don't share a bed anymore, because she must kick, toss and turn and dance in her sleep. It would take a good 5 minutes for her to make her bed.)

Secondly, because it looks nice! It's so simple, but it seems to add about 10-15% cleanliness to a bedroom instantly. Plus, when my bed is made, it inspires me to be more neat with the rest of my room. Like wanting to fold and hang my clothes instead of piling them on my hope chest. (Not that clothes ever pile on my hope chest... I ALWAYS hang and fold, even when I don't feel like it... eh-heh. Ahem.)

I've been trying to form more good habits in my daily routine, and I think such a simple, quick task is a good lifelong habit to have. Hopefully I will keep it up for the rest of my life!
 

4 comments:

  1. My excuse is that there's still a person in my bed when I get up every morning... :P (Rebekah and I share a bed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good excuse. And you might continue to have that problem once you get married... last one up makes the bed? =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Sounds like a fair deal to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! Making your bed picks your room up very quickly. Fortunately, my hope chest is downstairs, so while it still gets stuff dumped on it from younger siblings, it isn't buried under clothing in my room, like my desk chair and dresser are. :)

    ReplyDelete