Friday, June 17, 2011

Would you eat your lotion?

 Would you eat your lotion? Your immediate response was probably "ew, gross, of course not!" Did you know that your skin is the largest organ in your body? It does many important jobs, besides just covering up and protecting your sensitive inner tissues. And that lotion that you're smearing all over your skin is supposed to be absorbed into your skin to make it smooth and soft... and even pleasantly scented! Maybe you aren't actually eating it, but it is going into your body, and it your lotion has toxic ingredients, they're going into your body too. A bottle of lotion from Bath and Body Works may contain some healthy-sounding ingredients like Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, and Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, but it will also very likely contain Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Propylene Glycol and Tetrasodium EDTA, just to mention a few. Now, if that doesn't sound appetizing, why would you want to rub it into your body's largest organ? Your skin's many important jobs do not need to hampered by toxic substances.


Well, I would eat my lotion, and do. I regularly use my lotion to cook and in my food... scrambled eggs, muffins, pancakes, salad dressing and fudge. That's because my lotion is coconut oil. Besides being a wonderful cooking oil, coconut oil is also a light, refreshing lotion. It doesn't take much of it to moisturize and soften your skin. If you try it and get a greasy film on your skin, that's because you applied so much that your skin became saturated and couldn't absorb all of the oil. Coconut oil helps prevent fungal and bacterial infections (including acne), and it's also good for a tanning oil because it protects your skin from sun damage and free-radicals. I switched from my healthy lotion (with ingredients significantly more healthy than B&B lotions) to coconut oil, and it's been great! I always put it on after swimming, and it's completely relieved the itchy skin that I used to get from the chlorine... my old lotion didn't help that much! 


I keep my coconut oil in a little pimento jar with a seal-able lid for travel and in an extremely small little dish at home. I don't bother to cover it at home because it doesn't spoil easily and I use it so quickly that it doesn't have time to collect dust. There is no need to refrigerate it unless you want it to be solid (coconut oil is solid until around 76 degrees). As an added bonus, it even comes with a natural, refreshing coconut scent, which I really like. And while you're trying it as a lotion, try it as a deep moisture conditioner for your hair (massage it in dry hair, and soak for 30 min to an hour, then shower and shampoo as normal). It really is amazing stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment