Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tales from Driving

Every Tuesday morning, I try to leave at 8:27am to go teach a piano lesson at one of my student's homes. Once, a few months ago, I followed a champagne-colored Lincoln Town Car all the way from the back roads near my house to Capitol Boulevard, where I got on I-440, and the Town Car (fittingly) headed on towards downtown Raleigh. The Town Car had customized plates that said, "BABE&DON." At first, I mistook the 'd' for an 'o' also, and wondered what "BABE&OON" meant... and my early morning brain, presented with nearly 20 minutes of speculation as I followed that car, began to wonder if it meant "BABE" and "BABOON." (Yes, sadly, that was how my brain was working.) 

A few weeks later, on another Tuesday morning, the same car turned just in front of me onto a road VERY near my house, and I got to follow the car all the way to Capitol again. This time my caffeine had kicked in a little better, and I finally realized that it actually was "BABE&DON." As my interest was piqued by seeing the exact same car on my route again, I tried to discern what I could about the driver. All I could see was that the hair was short. I settled that it was "Babe." As my luck would have it, the car chose a different lane at a stoplight on Capitol, and I got a chance to more closely inspect the driver. It was clearly not "Babe," but "Don." He had short, spiky gray hair, and a long, thin face that somewhat reminded me of one of the bad guy Russians in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Since then, I have been followed by "Don" and he must always be running late when I see him, because he likes to tailgate. It's not very pleasant to feel like you're being trailed by an angry Soviet on your Tuesday mornings. This morning, Don had a fairly large animal carrier/cage in his backseat (a first) and I wondered what kind of animal he might have in it... this is where, should I allow my imagination to get carried away, I could seriously disturb myself. I will try to refrain, and next time I see Don, simply imagine something as harmless as what "Babe" might look like.

By the way, in a quick search on imdb.com, I found the actor, Igor Jijikine.

 

With slightly longer spiky hair, he would look just like Don!


2 comments:

  1. "It's not very pleasant to feel like you're being trailed by an angry Soviet on your Tuesday mornings." HAHAHAHA! Oh Lizzie, that is the most quotable thing I've heard said in a long time! How I did enjoy this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehehe! Thanks, Abigail! I'm glad you found it amusing. =D

    ReplyDelete