Thursday, September 20, 2012

Weird Beliefs and Opinions: Hospitals, Doctors and Medicine

This is the beginning of what might become a series of posts about all my fanatical beliefs and opinions! I have quite a few. ;)


I am 21 years old, and I haven't been to a medical doctor in 19 years. I was born in a hospital, like the majority of babies born in the US, and for the first two years of my life, I got all the recommended vaccines. Then, my parents decided not to vaccinate me anymore, and I haven't been back to a doctor since. I don't remember any of my few trips to the doctor, and what I have learned, and continue to learn about doctors and the modern medical practice, gives me no desire to ever experience being a patient at a hospital. One of my most terrifying nightmares is being seriously injured, and waking up in a hospital. I think I might rather just die.

In a study by Dr. Barbara Starfield, and published by the Journal of the American Medical Association they found these shocking statistics:
  • 12,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery 
  • 7,000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals 
  • 20,000 deaths/year from other errors in hospitals 
  • 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospital;
  • 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medications 
These all total up to 225,000 deaths per year in the US from iatrogenic damage (which is adverse effects as a direct result of treatments by a physician.) That makes iatrogenic deaths the #3 cause of death in the US. Heart disease and cancer hold the #1 and #2 positions, respectively.

The first number, 12,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery, is not even close to the total number of unnecessary surgeries per year, it only tallies the unfortunate souls that died as a result. In Death by Medicine, Gary Null, PhD. estimates that 7.5 million total unnecessary medical and surgical procedures are performed each year. I find it horrifying that so many people spend thousands on surgeries that they don't even need, which instead often cause them damage and death. 
"...the love of money is the root of all kinds of evils." (1 Tim 6:10) 
Surgery makes doctors a lot of profit, and it's my opinion that some doctors either don't care about the damage they might do the patient, or delude themselves into thinking that surgery is in the patient's best interest, simply because of the monetary incentive for themselves. 

It seems if doctors aren't trying to hack out and slice up your body parts, they're trying to give you prescription drugs. Dr. Starfield's study listed 7,000 deaths/year from medication errors, and 106,000 deaths/year from NON-error, adverse effects of medications. NON-error, meaning that it wasn't a mistake to prescribe or take the medication, by the medical community's standards! My dad once heard a pharmacist describe drugs as "poisons with some beneficial side effects." As any commercial will tell you, there are also many possible negative side effects for these "poisons," which is why I believe taking any kind of drug is a mistake. I have never taken so much as a Tylenol or Advil. There are so many natural and healthy options!

If you thought of hospitals as a clean, sterile environment, you might be stunned to see that there are 80,000 deaths/year caused by infections acquired in hospitals. That is the main reason I find it disturbing that almost every American baby is born in a hospital. Low-risk births have no reason to be in a hospital. Besides the risk of infection, Caesarean sections are one of the most common unnecessary surgeries performed, they will try to pump the mother with drugs, rush the birthing process and vaccinate the baby with the unnecessary Hep-B shot immediately after birth. It's much safer to have a home birth with a midwife. 

A large part of the problem with the medical community is the average American's lack of interest in changing their lifestyle. Do they really expect to eat the SAD (Standard American Diet) - sugary pastry breakfast, fast food lunch, microwave TV dinner, veg out on the couch, junk ice cream before bed, and still somehow expect to live a "healthy" life? Doctors might give them the standard advice that everyone knows: get exercise, eat your veggies. But the average American tends to ignore that advice, and when they get sick, who makes money off of their poor health choices? Think about it, why would doctors push healthier lifestyles on people who are perfectly happy to just pay for them to "fix" the damage? 

They are treating human bodies like machines. Take out parts, put "new" parts in, insert metal or plastic and generally sticking their gloved fingers where they don't belong. What they seem to completely ignore is the body's miraculous ability to heal itself, in ways they don't, and never will, completely understand. God has designed life forms with wonderful, extremely complex bodies, and He has given us everything we need to live healthy lives, beginning with the basics: eating the healthy foods He created, drinking clean water and exercising, and including herbs with healing properties for injuries and illnesses. I have no intention of ever voluntarily trusting a medical doctor with my health. 

Every one of these topics I mentioned could be a whole blog post on its own, and I haven't even touched on all of them. If you implicitly trust doctors, and have never questioned what they tell you to do, I challenge you to take some responsibility for your own health. Do some research about drugs, vaccines, radiation, surgery and natural health. Don't just blindly accept what they tell you!
 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! You are so right. I had a completely unnecessary cesarean with my son last December. The doctor forced me to sign the papers, and I haven't been the same since. Yes, my son was almost 13 pounds- but I KNOW I could have birthed him naturally. Even worse, now my doctor is insisting that all future babies to be born by cesarean. I am seriously considering a HBAC (home-birth after cesarean), and have gotten the encouragement from many lay midwives that they think this is a far better option than continuing with my obstetrician. I am trying to decide whether it is a better option to have a midwife present or to attempt an unassisted home birth- any encouragement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom delivered my youngest brother at home with a midwife friend present, and as that's all the experience I've had with homebirths, it seems like a good idea to me to have a midwife present, but I definitely think you should go for the homebirth, and however you're most comfortable. Best wishes!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I find this hard to read. As a Christian mother of two, who would have died if I had not given birth in hospital (I was admitted for pre-eclampsia, my blood pressure was 190/110 at one point, I tried all the "natural" methods to reduce my bp and swelling, basically giving birth and the removal of the placenta was the only thing that was going to help, and yes, I HAD to be medically induced or my daughter and I probably would have died) then having an artery knicked in my uterus, by my daughter who was face up, hand up over her head, which then caused serious bleeding issues, that could only be solved by surgery and yes, I had a blood transfusion, I firmly believe God had me in the right place, with capable doctors, life saving medicine and support. I don't think I'd be here today otherwise. Not all doctors want to hurt, "do no harm" is taken seriously by most, I'd say, having worked as a nurse for 10 years. I think you need to study some anatomy, physiology, and other medical texts to learn some basic biology, before you make such radically bizarre and untrue statements on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'll re-read my paragraph about births, you will notice I didn't say that hospital births are always unnecessary. I simply believe that for the majority of births, hospitals are unnecessary.
      I also NEVER said that doctors WANT to hurt people! My mother was a nurse for 12 years.
      I'm confused as to which statements you consider to be "radically bizarre and untrue" but if I'm not mistaken, I still have the freedom of speech to post what I choose on my blog. Thanks for your input, and the opportunity to clear up any misconceptions.

      Delete
  3. I was sad and disappointed when the Duggar's chose to have precious Josie born via C-section. If she had died (which many babies at only 25 weeks do) it would have been like an abortion! Praise the Lord that she didn't and is ok!! I just wish they had relied on prayer more and not succumbed to pressures from those doctors. I also read that she receives RSV shots several times a year, I don't think that is a good idea!! God bless you, thank you for educating people about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 225,000 so deaths caused by medical mistakes per year?

    I don't know, considering within the last year there were 36,915,331 admissions in U.S. hospitals (source: American Hospital Association), that makes the probability of death due to error something like what, .6 percent? Granted, any unnecessary death is a tragedy that shouldn't have happened, but considering that most people who are admitted to hospitals are there truly because they need to be, I think the odds are stacked in their favor that modern medicine is most likely to help, not hurt them.

    What you need to understand is that even though you have not been vaccinated in about twenty years, the only reason why you have not developed horrific diseases such as polio, or small pox is because OTHER people that you've encountered have been vaccinated. This is called "herd immunity." I think it is fine to have a naturalistic approach to health (including pregnancy & childbirth) and even to be a little skeptical (you SHOULD ask your healthcare providers questions and know ALL of your options), but please realize that if everyone adopted the attitude that you have and no longer vaccinated themselves or their children, well... there's a reason why life expectancy was what it was centuries ago.

    These opinions are more than just radical... they're dangerous. As a medical student, who has (I'm sure) had a lot more exposure to not only basic science applications but the outcomes for people who waited too long to get appropriate healthcare, I'm deeply concerned for the well being of anyone with this attitude towards health care and those who would read this blog and consider it for their lifestyle. I agree with the poster above that it might behoove you to pick up a biology book sometime, sooner than later.

    -A concerned reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's only the actual deaths, so if you really want to get a reasonable percentage of how many patients are hurt by their medical treatment, you'd have to find some more statistics. Two of my grandparents, who insist on their regular doctor visits and medication, have been damaged by medical treatment more than once very recently, and it's very worrisome for me.

      I actually do understand that is what I'm "supposed" to believe. Natural "herd immunity" works because when the population contracts the disease and beats it, survivors get lifelong immunity to the disease. Vaccinations are only supposed to work temporarily, then you have to go get another shot. Also, if you look at some of the graphs of the history of diseases, cases were already decreasing before vaccines were introduced, due to improved understanding of hygiene, sanitation and nutrition. Some day, I believe vaccines will be considered as archaic and harmful as we now consider bloodletting to be.

      I can understand why you would consider my beliefs to be dangerous considering your medical studies. I find it a little contradictory, however, since you mentioned before that one should ask questions and know ALL the options. I think natural approaches should be considered part of the range of options. While I have yet to find a condition for which I would consider standard medical treatment necessary, it's conceivable that I might someday. I am very interested in health, just not the same kind of health care you mean. I have actually studied, and am still studying Biology, focusing on Human Biology. I think what you want me to study is "modern medicine." =)

      Thanks for your concern, and your polite and intelligent comment!

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with you Lizzie. My grandmother died in a hospital shortly after having a surgery on her gall bladder because of a young female doctor who thought she knew everything about everything. My other grandmother is still suffering from a wrist deformity due to a faulty surgery by her doctor who pretended he knew how to do wrists, when in reality, he didn't. It was so nice reading this article, God bless you for writing about the truth! And way to go for home-birthing; that's what I'm going to do, God willing!

      Delete
  5. My grandmother had polio as a kid. You'd better believe she did not wish it on anyone to "Contact and overcome" since it left her with one leg shorter than the other. She got her children immunized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MsJess,
      Of course no one would wish a disease on anyone! If vaccines worked the way they are supposed to, they would certainly be an amazing advance in science. However, everything I have studied about vaccines leads me to believe that they are much more dangerous than the disease itself, and generally ineffective at actually preventing the disease.
      This (http://thinktwice.com/Polio.pdf) is an interesting article about Polio and the vaccines. If you scroll down to page 3 you can see a chart of how the vaccinations affected the number of US cases of polio, and on page 4 you can see that polio death rates were decreasing on their own before the vaccinations.
      If you continue reading, the article explains how new strains of "vaccine-derived" polio virus has caused new outbreaks, and all kinds of other health issues. I hope your grandmother's children didn't experience (or aren't experiencing) any of the possible effects of the vaccination, like cancer.
      I don't believe vaccines are ever tested thoroughly enough before they're used on the widespread population, and I personally want to make sure the benefits outweigh the risks before I make a serious decision. So far, I am convinced the risks of vaccinations are not worth the temporary, uncertain "benefits" that are claimed.

      Delete