Thursday, November 1, 2012

Finding Purpose

It's something everyone is searching for - the answer to the age-old question: what am I doing here? Why do I exist? What am I supposed to do? Without a reason to live, life has no luster. It's like simply floating in the middle of the sea, no raft, no paddle, in the middle of the night, with no idea what direction to go. 

As Christians, the answer really is obvious, but often seems a little trite; our purpose is to glorify God. Yes, I know that I am here to bring glory to God, to obey Him and serve Him, but what does that mean? Does it mean that I have to become a missionary? Spend all my free time in soup kitchens? Take an entire weekend just to hand out tracts at the mall? Am I worthless if I'm not doing something like that? No, of course not!

I know the truth, but how often I need reminding! You can bring glory to God in ANY situation - anywhere, anytime, every second. It doesn't matter if you work a boring desk job, spend your whole day doing housework or whatever else your typical daily tasks might be; you can bring Him glory every moment of every day. The God of the universe can bring glory to Himself through your humble, day-to-day life.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
-1 Corinthians 10:31 

When I stress about my life, and try to figure out what God's plan for my future is, I lose my focus on Him. I feel depressed, frustrated and hopeless. I can't be in control of what will happen, and I can't force my life to go the way I wish. The good news is that God has the best plan for my life here, and He is in control. That gives me such joy and contentment. It's so relieving to know that all I have to do is trust Him, simply living each day, and follow Him wherever He leads me! 

...walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory.
-1 Thessalonians 2:12b

It's so simple, it almost seems too easy, somewhat like the simplicity of salvation. It's so overwhelming and awe-inspiring that He loves us enough that He died to save us, and it cost us NOTHING! While we were still sinners He died for us, and all we have to do is accept His gift, and He creates a clean heart inside of us, and brings our dead spirits to life. His steadfast love, mercy and grace to us is unfathomable!

"I came that they might have life and have it more abundantly."
-John 10:10b

And so, I'm simply living for His glory, and looking forward to eternity with Him. I know that this short life on earth is temporary, and its end only means the beginning of my eternal life with my Savior. No sorrows, no worries and no frustrations; only His love and glory, living in the light of His presence and worshiping Him forever! Keep your eyes on Jesus and eternity with Him, and your life will never lack purpose, joy or contentment.
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing beautiful post and reminder that what I do, I give it back it all for His glory because I am nothing without Him.

    And so what you wrote here is for the glory of His name.

    Blessing,
    delvalina

    ReplyDelete