Monday, January 14, 2013

Best Foot Forward: Day 1


I usually try to dress pretty nicely and present an attractive appearance, but I'd let myself slack during the holidays, and I often don't try to look nice when I'm hanging around at home, so I decided to take on this challenge, hosted by Rachel.

 Last night, I spontaneously determined that the "something different" I would try with my hair would be curls. I used to have curls when I was a little tot, but ever since age 7 or so, my hair has been stick straight, and resisted all attempts at curling. I'm a shower-at-night kind of girl in the winter (I hate getting up and taking a shower in the cold, dark mornings) and when I went to bed, my hair was in a just barely not wet stage. I rolled it half-way up in 8 sections, and went to bed. 


Success! My hair stayed curly all day, with no hairspray. It looked a little funky around my face, so I pulled it back into two small clips. I usually wear some eye shadow and mascara, but I recently purchased a new eyeliner, and I also put on a little blush today.

My outfit may look a little fancy, but it's not more than what I tend to wear on Mondays anyway. In the morning, I study with my piano teacher, and she always looks so nice that I'm inspired to mimic her style of dressing. It was strangely warm for January today, so I wore a half-sleeve sweater with one of my favorite flowery skirts, tights and my new boots.


After my piano lesson, I did a little shopping at Goodwill (I'm in need of yet another bookcase!) on my way home. Once I got home, I put on an apron and baked a cheesecake and made pasta for the pesto chicken alfredo Mom was making for supper. I felt like a lady from the 50's, working in the kitchen in nice clothes! I usually worry that even if I wear an apron I'll mess up my clothes, but the most dangerous part was washing up the dishes after I finished... I splashed a little water on my boots. And they are fine.

Then Sarah and I ran out a did some more shopping, groceries and gas for my car. It was a long, busy day, and I am exhausted. The curls are showered out now, and I'm lounging around in my sweatpants and t-shirt, with my wet hair in a messy bun, but I really enjoyed feeling nicely put together all day today. I've written before about wearing skirts, and I like that feeling feminine helps me to display a more gentle and quiet spirit. Looking forward to tomorrow!


"but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."
-1 Peter 3:4

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You are so beautiful, Lizzy, and I love love love the outfit. :) Also your red hair. It's a great trial to me that I wasn't born a red-head. :D Thank you so much for joining up with this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Rachel! =) I do like having red hair (one major flaw with Anne of Green Gables! How could she not like her hair? ;) ), but it tends to clash with many pretty colors. I think your hair is beautiful. I'm enjoying the challenge!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley-Joydana! I'm glad you visited my blog! =)

      Delete
  3. Lizzie, your hair is really lovely! I just love the color.:) And I really enjoyed the pictures.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this outfit! So feminine and dainty. What brand is your sweater and skirt? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The sweater is "So" from the junior section and the skirt is Ann Taylor Loft.

      Delete