Thursday, January 17, 2013

Best Foot Forward: Day 4


It's Day 4 of the challenge, and it's been rainy here too. The weather man has tempted us with the possibility of some snow tonight, and I don't know if I'd rather hope for beautiful, fluffy whiteness, or wish for normal weather so that we might get to pick up our farm order tomorrow. We are totally out of milk, and desperate for more!

Due to the consistent dampness outside, I wanted something very warm and cozy today, and also very comfortable. I wore my long, black skirt, which is made of a nice soft jersey material, with a peachy color shirt, and a gray sweater. I thought my vintage key necklace looked nice with that ensemble. Since I didn't have to leave the house today, I wore simple black flats. I would have had drenched and frozen feet if I set foot outdoors, but I stayed snug inside all day with the fireplace going.


 I saved my shower for this morning like I planned, so my slightly damp hair was forced to comply with my scheme for its arrangement. I had a vague idea what I wanted, and a couple of random shots on Pinterest, though still not like what I wanted, gave me enough inspiration that this hairstyle came about. I'm pretty pleased with it. It looks kind of odd in the picture above, and it will need a little tweaking to be a regular style I use, but I think it's got potential.


I parted my hair on the side like I always do, and began a french braid on the side with more hair (because this is all so technical). Once I had picked up the last strand of hair in front of my ear, I finished it out with a simple braid and secured it with a hair tie. Then I twisted the rest of my hair into a simple bun, wrapped the end of the braid around the bottom and secured with pins. It was really easy... once my hair was dampened into submission.


I did use my new eye shadow today, and I'm very pleased with the result. It's impossible to tell anything from this picture, however. I actually wore some dangle earrings (I call them the sunflower-pendant earrings) which I think go with my key pretty well. As I completed my outfit, I felt the sudden irresistible urge to wear my grandmother's diamond ring. My mother gave it to me on my 16th birthday, and I usually wear it only on very special occasions.


I've been feeling a little unwell off and on today. I only had two students, so I've spent the rest of my day being lazy and giving myself permission to relax and read Pride and Prejudice. January 28th this year is the 200th anniversary of Pride and Prejudice's publication, and I'm hoping to finish the book by then. I'm also very slowly sewing a Regency dress which might possibly be completed by the anniversary, too. If I can, I might even squeeze in a viewing of the BBC P&P. And also, there's a special Netherfield Ball recreation (just ignore the picture of Keira Knightley) being aired on BBC in honor of the anniversary! A post with more about this wonderful novel shall hopefully be coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love your hair! I wish that I could do mine like that... =) If I tried (I can't french braid), I'm afraid I'd end up with a mess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, thanks! My mom taught me how to french-braid my own hair when I was younger, it took me a LOT of practice. ;)

    ReplyDelete