Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mid-week Healthy Treat Experiment

Wednesday is the day I usually go shopping at Whole Foods. Mom had found two new recipes she wanted me to try, so today I picked up some ingredients we needed and came home to bake!

 
First, I pureed the filling for these Paleo Coconut Secret Bars in my food processor. It did take several minutes of processing, but I got a nice creamy filling. The lesser amount of sweetener was definitely enough for my taste! I only made a half batch, so I spread the filling in a loaf pan and slid it in the fridge to chill.


Then I whizzed up a batch of these Apricot Coconut Dehydrator Cookies in my food processor (without washing it out first, because I'm lazy like that). Easy! Our dehydrator is busy today, drying a batch of sprouted wheat berries, so I put my (irregularly sized and haphazardly shaped due my laziness) cookies on a baking sheet and popped them in the oven.

Then I decided to make my tried-and-true raw fudge recipe for the chocolate coating on the Coconut Secret bars, and use the remainder to make a half-batch of fudge. So a cup of coconut oil (half melted), a cup of raw cacao powder and a cup of raw honey, plus a small splash of vanilla extract went into the blender.

I cut my bars into pieces, and then added the almonds (after the bars chilled... not what the recipe said to do. Whoops... worked okay though!) I decided to do a half step in between dipping the bars in chocolate and simply spreading the chocolate on top of the uncut (which is how I understood the shortcut she suggested) - I placed my bars on a sheet of parchment inside a small baking dish with about 1/4 of an inch in between, and then just drizzled my fudge all over them. Then they went back to the fridge.

The rest of the fudge went in the loaf pan and also into the fridge.

I know you're dying to see how sloppy my lazy afternoon attempts look, so here are my results (minus the fudge, which I've been too lazy to cut yet):

 I think the Apricot Coconut cookies could have been a little more interesting. I might add some chocolate chips, raisins or dried cranberries, and maybe some chopped nuts next time. Or maybe even a bit of cacao powder to the mix. I like that they are sweetened by the dates, and when I was tasting the unbaked mixture, I really enjoyed the flavor, it reminded me of my childhood, and eating coconut-covered dates as a snack (and I may have eaten quite a few little nibbles while I was shaping the cookies and reminiscing... ahem).


The Coconut Secret bars are delicious! Very rich, and like I mentioned earlier, definitely the lesser sweetening amount would have suited me fine. I put 2 tablespoons of honey in my half batch, and they are a little sweet. Mom wanted more almonds in them. I definitely plan on making them again!















Finally, I included a picture of the Oeufs a la Neige recipe by Alton Brown that Joel is making. It doesn't really qualify as healthy I don't suppose (um, but it is all organic!). I separated those beautiful egg yolks for him. Aren't they pretty?

I'd love to hear if you try either of those recipes and what you think!
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, yes, I can see that you are extremely lazy! Can I come live at your house? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, well, I'm usually something of a perfectionist, so I felt lazy when I didn't take the extra time to make everything as uniform and pretty as possible. I'm trying to learn how to loosen up a little! ;)

      Delete