Monday, October 21, 2013

A Dream Romance

You all know how much I love Jane Austen's stories. I could gush and rave over them for hours, and I do think they are all wonderful stories with really nice romantic endings and delightful happily-ever-afters. But if I could take one story and make it my own, out of all the stories I've ever read/watched, I would want to be "Anne of Green Gables." (Warning, spoilers ahead!)

I have some striking similarities to Anne - the sense of dramatic, overly romantic and excessively imaginative qualities all fit me. However, I am unnaturally happy with my red hair, and I am perfectly satisfied to be Elizabeth Ann - without an 'e.' No, there's a different reason that I would like to be Anne, more important than our common traits or the characteristics that I admire in her.

Of course, living in the early 1900's would be really fun, and Green Gables is a lovely farm in a beautiful place, but the main reason I would love to be Anne is because of Gilbert. He loves her so loyally, from the very first moment he saw her (as he claims in the movie, it's been way too long since I read the books) when she was newly arrived and first came to school. Unfortunately, he calls her "carrots" in an attempt to get her attention and incurs her wrath. And so begins the long grudge that Anne holds against him.

"Carrots" and mischievous Gilbert.
After breaking a slate over his head, Anne goes on to treat him with coldness and contempt. He is the recipient of her determined dislike for just a bit of teasing, but he continues to work for her friendship, apologizing again and again for that one little mistake that cost him for so long. He has the opportunity to rescue her from a bridge piling when one of her imaginative and dramatic adventures goes wrong, and she is not very grateful, but he pleads with her to forgive him and finally be friends. And to my relief, she does.


But once they are friends, poor Gilbert is "friend-zoned" by Anne, and she can't picture him as her romantic suitor. He doesn't fit her imaginative fancies: tall, dark, irresistibly handsome and melancholy (although I think he fits all but "melancholy"!). He is a faithful friend, and pursues her diligently, through misunderstandings and quarrels. He proposes, and she refuses him. In chorus with Diana, I say, "Oh Anne, how could you?!?" Again, he speaks with her, says he will wait for her, if she'll give him even the slightest chance and yet she just breaks his heart. A year later, he tries to move on and becomes engaged to someone else, but ultimately can't do it, and breaks it off.

At this point, I would be a weepy mess if I didn't know what happened.

Thankfully, Anne eventually realizes that she does love Gilbert, although it takes him lying on what could be his death-bed with scarlet fever. She visits him, he recovers soon after, proposes AGAIN and Anne finally accepts. "I don't want diamond sunbursts, or marble halls - I just want you."


There are so many wonderful things about Anne of Green Gables, but I think my favorite part is Gil. He is such a honest, sweet, loyal guy. I'd be thrilled to have a fellow like him in love with me (and I sure wouldn't want to refuse him twice first, like Anne did)! What girl could resist a man who so persistently and lovingly pursues her, forgiving her many flaws and frequent unkindness? He loved her so steadfastly, and was a true friend to her, no matter what. It reminds me of my Savior, and the selfless, sacrificial love He shows us. I already have my dream romance!

"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8
 

12 comments:

  1. I just love Anne of Green Gables. It was the first real romance movie I ever watched, and the books are just as good. My best friend is 100% hooked on Gilbert. I love him too. My name is Elizabeth Anne with an "e", and I am very glad it is. Just print out A N N and it looks simply dreadful! No, I'm kidding. I like it both ways. :) But if I were to choose a dream romance, it would definitely be North and South. It's a bit dark and dreary, but I definitely like that type of story, and I DEFINITELY like Mr. Thornton! It's all worth it for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to reread the books, it's been a long time! Gilbert is just so sweet! ;) I do agree than "Ann" as a first name doesn't look quite as distinguished as "Anne" does, but in a middle name, I don't think it suffers too much without the 'e.' I'm named after my two grandmothers (Mary Elizabeth and Margaret Ann) so my middle name really must be spelled as it is. Hehehe!
      Oh, I love the story in North and South! It's definitely very romantic, too, but I don't know if I personally would enjoy experiencing what Margaret did for my own romance. I do love Mr. Thornton, though!

      Delete
  2. Jane has beautiful books, butI havent read all of them. Because almost each time I visit your blog it made me want to have all of the collection. Anne if Green Gables, I also havent read those, I hope someday I can find them :)

    It's always good that when you found a figure and it reminds you of Jesus. :) He is absolutely beautiful man.
    Thanks for sharing friend.
    Delvalina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane Austen's books are lovely! Which one(s) have you read? The Anne of Green Gables series is very good, too, someday I hope you get a chance to read all of them! =)

      Delete
  3. I read these a lot when I was growing up, and I always wondered, "Will I be like Anne and end up falling in love with someone I disliked for a long time? Who annoyed me and made me just want to grind my teeth?" And then I did :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an Elizabeth Ann? That is so funny, my next younger sister is an Elizabeth Anne (that is the original reason for my preferment of Anne with an e spelling); I think I have heard of several others and Elizabeth Alice. Something about Elizabeth and A's I guess. I love names.
    On the subject of book romances. I want a Laurie or a Tommy (from Old Fashioned Girl). He needs to be human and funny and someone I can argue with. Gilbert was never well developed in the books and in the movies they steal lines/ideas (and I am serious-no generalizations here) from Jo and Laurie in the Little Women BOOK. Actually in the second movie they steal Amy's lines about fainting! And there is probably more. Those movies are kind of a sore point for me because they are so different from the books which I adore and instead of aiming for that they copy another book I adore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elizabeth and A-names do seem to go together well. Or maybe even just E's and A's, I had a friend named Emily Ann, and we used to joke about our lack of E's. I really like discussing names, and I tend to notice trends among siblings' names.
      Oh, I did notice Amy's lines about fainting! I've read Little Women more recently than the Anne books, I really should read Anne again soon. I'm sorry to hear that the movies don't follow the books well. I do remember that the 3rd movie was drastically different from the books, but I thought the first movie at least followed the book pretty well. It's always disappointing when movies don't live up to their books! My sister and I recently watched The Inheritance (a Louisa May Alcott book) and it was almost nothing like the book, terribly annoying.

      Delete
  5. I adore these movies! It's been too long since I watched them but once upon a time I watched them over and over and over and.. well, you understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy them so much! Sarah and I have a little tradition of watching them at least once a year (in the fall, usually) with a dear friend. They are long, but so worth it! =)

      Delete
  6. oh my this sure does sound like a fairy tale!!!
    I love it!
    thank you so much for sharing!
    I'm glad that I happened upon your blog!
    it's lovely!
    have a wonderful night!

    Much love,
    LadyIlg


    Short Sleeved Pants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, LadyIlg! =)

      Delete