Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Thankful Thursday

We usually spend Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's lovely shore house. It's right on an inlet, water views out the back, and a big farm garden with chickens. We arrived late last night so that we could be here this morning to help with meal preparations. 
Granddaddy and 4 of his grandkids
I'm thankful for a quiet, beautiful day with my family, my aunt and uncle, and that my Granddaddy and his wife were able to join us. 

The table set for 10.
 Delicious dinner: turkey, venison, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry chutney, apple cranberry casserole, asparagus casserole, gravy, dressing and rolls. 

Yummy venison!
I'm happy that we suspended a few GAPS rules for the meal, we skipped the dressing and rolls since they are extremely high gluten, but we had a little of the potatoes. The cranberry chutney was a fermented recipe that we tried just for Thanksgiving, and it turned out better than I expected!
Chicken feathers!
I'm also delighted that the two GAPS-friendly desserts I made turned out well. The pumpkin bars were very yummy, and the pecan pie was pretty good too, but unfortunately it got a little overcooked. I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy digging in!
Everyone except Joel around the table... Joel took the picture.
 Then we made a trip out to move the portable chicken coops to new ground and collect eggs. I have been wanting to get chickens. In the barn, there's a new batch of young chicks staying warm. When we got back in, Sarah and Joel were playing chess. We played lots of chess. It was such a nice day!

Everything was so yummy, and I think I enjoyed it all the more because I managed not to overeat. Nothing ruins a pleasant meal like feeling gross and disgusted with yourself afterward because you ate too much. Thanksgiving has become a holiday we stuff ourselves, and then tend not to think of all we have to be thankful for:

Roofs over our heads - when some are homeless.

Food sufficient for the day - when some are starving.

Nice clothes to wear - when some wear rags.

Shoes on our feet - when some have none.

Warm places to stay - when some are cold.

Beyond all that, we have so many (unnecessary) possessions. We should always be thankful, not just on Thanksgiving. And more than thankful, our abundance should inspire us to share what we have with others, because some other things that we as Christians have are these, and no matter how much you share them with others, you will still never run out:

Unmerited forgiveness - forgive, as you have been forgiven.

The sacrificial love of Jesus our Savior - love as He loved us.

The grace and mercy God has showed us - extend it to others.

Hope of eternity - always be ready to give an answer for the hope within.

Happy Thanksgiving!
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely, Lizzie! I hope you and yours had as of a special day as it looks and sounds. :)

    Happy (belated) Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rissi, we did have a great time! I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving, too!

      Delete