Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Read in 2013

I have read a pathetically small number of books this year, and strangely, for a list-making, self-proclaimed bookworm, I didn't even keep track. Maybe that's because I knew if I could see a list, it would be humiliating and tragic. I read Pride and Prejudice at least once, maybe twice (it's my go-to book when I want to read and haven't read something Austen lately) and I read Sense and Sensibility once. I may have read Northanger Abbey, I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I read any other Jane Austen novels, so it's definitely been a low book year. 

The only two new books I remember reading are The Mysteries of Udolpho by Radcliffe and Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering. I meant to write a review of Udolpho because I liked it a lot, and it was my first experience with a gothic novel (which Northanger Abbey parodies - now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I read Northanger after Udolpho for comparison) and there were so many things I wanted to tell other readers who might not have ventured into gothic novels yet... anyway, briefly: if you like Northanger Abbey, have patience for long books and don't mind excessive poetry inserts, definitely read Udolpho

Oh, I also re-read Catching Fire and Mockingjay after I saw Catching Fire the movie, because I just had to compare my memory of the book with the movie (and yes, it was a pretty awesome book-to-movie translation!) and then of course I couldn't just NOT read Mockingjay. I can't wait to see what they do with that movie!

Okay, after quickly browsing through past blog posts for a review of my year, I also definitely read The Great Gatsby before I saw the movie, and my main summer reading was slogging through the GAPS Diet book. Instead of a fun summer read, I took the GAPS book and a notebook and pen with me to the pool. But don't worry, I did have a fun summer read in Rules of Murder (mentioned previously) for the beach vacation.

So, my lame (and rambly) attempt at constructing my book list from this year looks something like:
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Gut and Psychology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride
Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen 
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Yes, I realize this is a fiction-heavy list (I like fiction), but I am trying to find more non-fiction books that I really enjoy and are worth reading... last year I chose some to add to my morning reading, like Elisabeth Elliot books. And like I mentioned in a previous post, I follow Professor Grant Horner's Bible-reading plan, so I do get Scripture in, even though it looks like I didn't read any other non-fiction this year.

My reading goals for this year are to read at least one non-fiction for every five fiction reads, and I've decided that I want to start keeping a book journal, to keep track of the books I read, and also my thoughts (including new observances in re-reads) in an actual book. Keeping lists on the computer has never worked well for me. And I really need to make time to read more!

Any suggestions for my 2014 book list? Happy New Year!
 

6 comments:

  1. Hm, I probably need to institute something like your nonfiction plan for me...my ratio is incredibly low. I tend to have several books in process at once, so maybe I should always require one to be nonfiction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a very good idea! I would still have to have motivation to complete it in a timely fashion, but always to have something non-fiction you're working on is a very good way to get it in.

      Delete
  2. I read Rules of Murder too. Love that book! I do have a book that I keep records of my reading in, but I was really bad at it last year. I logged all of my reading on Goodreads instead, which was awesome, but I'm going to go back through and list them all in my actual, physical book. There's no guarantees that an online list won't go defunct someday.

    I'm totally a fiction type of gal. Nonfiction must be spectacular for me to be at all interested, but I read a lot of Christian development books for school this last year, so I guess those count. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good! I'm really looking forward to the next one. I've been thinking about getting on Goodreads, but I think I should get my non-virtual record going first. Like you said, there's no guarantees that an online list won't malfunction.

      Fiction is definitely my favorite and I'm happy with that, but I know that there are some non-fiction books that are worth my reading. I have read some good ones that I really enjoyed, and I don't want to miss out just because I tend to reach for fiction first. =) I'd say they count!

      Delete
  3. Book Recommendations:
    "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Shaffer, "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak, anything by Bodie Thoene, Sarah Sundin, Julie Lessman, Leslie Ludy, and Agatha Christie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that Mary Shaffer book, very interesting title! "The Book Thief" is sitting on my desk, just waiting to be read! Definitely on my list. "Authentic Beauty" and Agatha Christie's "Miss Marple" stories are also on my list! I'll have to look up the ones I'm not familiar with. Thanks for your suggestions! =)

      Delete