Friday, January 3, 2014

Watched in 2013

As noted in my previous post, I didn't read as much as I would have liked last year, and that was probably due to the increase in TV and movies. We watched a lot of movies and TV, adding to the shows that we watch weekly, and binge-watching some on Netflix.

The beginning of the year, Sarah and I watched a lot of period drama movies for the Period Drama Challenge. I enjoyed writing the reviews, but unfortunately, I just couldn't force myself to write reviews for everything period that we watched, so I ended up spending a lot of time watching movies, many of which I didn't like very much. But I did enjoy the excuse to re-watch old favorites, and I found some new movies that I liked, even though they didn't get reviews.

We began 2013 with Doctor Who, Castle, Psych, Person of Interest, NCIS, Elementary, White Collar, and Covert Affairs on our regular TV watching schedule. Since we were caught up on all of those, there was only a new episode to watch once a week during the show's season, thankfully. But almost every night we had at least one TV show to watch after dinner. It felt like a lot of TV to me, and then we added Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Almost Human and Atlantis.

Besides our regular shows, we got into Merlin during the summer and watched 4 seasons inside two months. We had to wait a month for season 5 to come on Netflix, and then we finished it up in about a week or so. We were a little obsessed, and I really enjoyed it, even though it was kind of silly and cheesy sometimes. We watched at least one episode every day that we could. 


Then in November we started doing the same with Chuck starring Zachary Levi, and now I've become addicted. It makes me feel guilty to watch so much TV, but it's such a fun show, lots of action, Chuck is a really sweet guy, and he's really cute with Sarah, his CIA handler/partner/girlfriend. There is an unfortunate amount of inappropriate clothing (or lack thereof) and some intimate scenes, unmarried folks living together, etc. Still, skip those parts and it's a really fun show! We went through 3 seasons in a month or so, and just started season 4 after New Year's. 

We're also re-watching Doctor Who, in preparation for the Christmas special in which Matt Smith leaves - left! Sadness! We didn't get all the way through to season 7 in time for the special, but at the rate we're going we'll probably wrap up our re-watch before January ends. And with Matt Smith gone, I will be significantly less interested in Doctor Who. I thought the Christmas special was terrible, and I DO NOT LIKE the idea of Peter Capauldi being The Doctor. 

New movies I saw in the theater this year:
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Great Gatsby (review)
Iron Man 3
Thor 2
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug (twice!)

My favorite was Catching Fire, sorry but Desolation just didn't quite beat out Catching Fire for awesomeness in book-to-movie translation, which tends to matter more to me than I guess it should. I loved Desolation on its own, but I thought it could have been better if it were more like its book.  

 
Catching Fire left me with only the slight disappointment of Venia's non-existence. Flavius and Octavia's characters didn't get much of an increase, so there wasn't much to miss, but Venia is my favorite of Katniss's prep team. The rest of Catching Fire was awesome, and since I saw it for the second time yesterday, I'm considering writing a review. It's my favorite of the books, and it is a really great movie!

With the new year always comes reflection, and the overview of how much time I spent entertaining myself in front of a screen last year is a little dismaying to me. At the time, it seems like it's only one TV show, only one movie, but how those hours add up! If I felt like doing the math, how much time would I find I had spent? If I took the time to make up an estimate of the time I spend on everything I do, would my amount of TV/movie entertainment be an acceptable percentage of my life for me? I definitely intend to cut back some on the TV shows I watch this year, and focus on keeping my priorities in line.

But I will not be cutting out movies and TV altogether, and I am definitely looking forward to finishing up Doctor Who and Chuck plus anticipating Sherlock: Season 3 (January 19!), The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, and The Hobbit: There and Back Again!
 

5 comments:

  1. My family talks about the amount of TV shows we watch too, but in the end, we watch television VERY differently than most family (I grew up unable to watch anything my parent's didn't approve) and still, enjoy watching lots of things together. Because of that, I rarely feel guilty just because we don't live extravagantly and well, TV fandoms are kind of are "one weakness." ;)

    You've got some awesome shows here, Lizzie - I've been curious about Chuck but haven't watched it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We grew up with very strict TV restrictions, too, so I guess that makes me a little more cautious about how much time I spend watching TV. I do enjoy watching things with my family (there aren't any TV shows that I watch alone), but I think I'm going to start skipping the ones that I really don't enjoy. But yes, I know exactly what you mean, and I think family TV time is a good, fun, "one weakness."

      My sister got us into Chuck and I'm so glad that we did! It does have some inappropriate shocker moments when I wonder what in the world we're watching, but overall I think it's a really fun spy show with good character development. I'm really liking it, and I think you would probably enjoy it too!

      Delete
  2. I used to watch NCIS and Bones faithfully, but just don't have time anymore. I do have seasons 1-6 of Bones on DVD, though. And I've been working my way through Castle on DVD -- I'm almost done with season 4! The only current show I really watch is Agents of SHIELD, which my hubby and I have been enjoying catching on Hulu on Friday nights. And I've seen the first 3 eps of Almost Human and like it okay. The acting is better than the scripts. I do want to catch Intelligence when it starts next week, see how that is. I've read it compared to Chuck, which I've never watched, though it looks pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting pretty tired of NCIS, but Castle is still very enjoyable... I was afraid the ending of season 4 was a sign that the show might fall apart, but it didn't! "The Blue Butterfly" is tied for my absolute favorite with the episode from season 5 "The Lives of Others." I agree, the acting for Almost Human is much better than the scripts. Intelligence does look interesting, although definitely a lot more serious than Chuck. We'll probably catch it... especially since I think we're going to drop a few of the other shows we've been spending time on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just watched "The Blue Butterfly" before Christmas and oh my goodness -- so my fave ep! As I was watching it, my hubby said, "This is your new favorite ep, isn't it?" I was like, "Even with earphones in, looking the opposite direction, you can tell?" Hee.

      Delete