Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Period Drama Fashion Week Tag!

This is the tag for "Period Drama Fashion week" over at For the Beauty of the Earth. Go check it out!

1. Tell us five random things about yourself.
I'm going to restrict these to period drama and fashion related, since I just did 11 random facts about me in my last post. ;)
~I think Pride and Prejudice (1995) is the best adaptation, and there will never be a chance of another adaptation topping it, unless that adaptation is even longer. Then it will have only a very small chance.
~I'm currently near the end of the (very long) process of sewing my own Regency gown. I only need to sew on buttons, hem it and attach the trim. I'm procrastinating because I hate hemming... (hey, maybe I should try to motivate myself to finish it for this fashion week!)
~I once curled my hair and did it up in a sort of Regency fashion. I would love to wear my hair like this every day if curling were easier...
I know, my gown is not even close to Regency style... it was the best option I had.

~Jane Austen is undoubtedly my favorite period author, I have read all six of her major novels at least twice each; for Pride and Prejudice my last count was nearing a dozen reads. Sense and Sensibility is my next favorite, with around nine reads, and Northanger Abbey has at least six. I just finished Emma today for my fourth time. Persuasion grew on me so that I read it for the third time last fall, but Mansfield Park is sadly my least favorite that has only been read twice, and I may never read it again...
~Even though my previous facts make it obvious that my favorite era is Regency, I do enjoy almost any period drama setting, even if only for the costumes. I was very mad about the end of Downton Abbey's third season, so I told myself I would watch it just for the costumes this season (and ended up enjoying most of the plots greatly, in spite of myself!)

2. What are some of your favorite dresses from period dramas? Pick three.
I guess I like ball gowns! Couldn't find very good pictures, though...

(2009) Emma's peach ball gown with cream underskirt.

(2008) Sense and Sensibility, Elinor's green striped gown, and her long-sleeve green gown are very similar, and I like both.

(1995) Pride and Prejudice, Lizzy's ivory ball gown.
3. How would you describe your own style?
Simple and classy.

4. List (up to) five of your favorite period drama wardrobes.
 I think I would take Elinor's from 2008 S&S, her style is simple, but elegant, and she wears colors that I like to wear. I also like most of Emma's gowns from the 2009.

5. What are some of your favorite fashion eras?
Obviously, my favorite is Regency, but I also very much like Victorian and Civil war fashion. Also, Downton Abbey has convinced me that I even like 1920's fashion.

6. What are five things that make you happy?
Bright, warm spring days, reading a good book, contra dancing, teaching piano lessons and the seaside.

7. Do you like to wear hats?
I would like to be the kind of person that wears hats... and I think some Regency style hats might suit me, but modern day hats tend not to look so great. I do wear some big, dramatic, floppy-brim sun-hats in the summer, though. Technically vintage style.

8. Do you have a favorite fictional character who has the same name as you?
Yes, Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. I actually started going by "Lizzie" after I read the book, but Austen spelled it "Lizzy" with a 'y.' I think 'ie' looks more balanced, but 'y' is more interesting... I'm still not sure if I made the right choice.

9. What is one of the ugliest dresses you've ever seen in a period drama?
Well, I don't tend to notice ugly dresses when they fit the character, or when the character isn't meant to be dressed nicely, so the ugliest dress I remember for a main character is one of Emma's dresses from the 2009. Most of her dresses are gorgeous, which is what makes this one stand out to me.
I like the color and trim very well, but I do NOT like the "jumper" effect with that shirt. The shirt is what really bothers me, it's stark white, has a boring and ugly collar and it looks like a modern man's dress shirt to me. I absolutely hate it. Also, this picture reminds me that I don't like Romola Garai's standard hairstyle for this movie... ugh.

10. What is the most-worn color in your wardrobe?
 Definitely green. Many shades of green.

11. What are your sentiments on the subject of tea?
I love tea! I drink tea every morning, I hardly ever drink coffee.  Coffee doesn't sit well with me.

12. Do historical inaccuracies bother you?
Immensely. I often wish I could remain ignorant simply to preserve my enjoyment of period movies. They so frequently contain flaws, and if I know of the flaws, it distracts me from merely being absorbed by the story.

13. What are some of your favorite eras of men's fashions?
Hehehe, men's fashions from Regency all the way to the 1920's are pretty nice. I like cravats, tail-coats and top hats a lot.

14. Have you ever read any books on historical fashion?
No, see number 12 about remaining ignorant of movie flaws... I'd rather just read Pride and Prejudice again.

15. If you could pick just three fictional characters to have over for tea, who would you invite?

Oh, hard question... even if I restrict it to fictional characters from Jane Austen stories, that's very hard... I would personally love to meet Lizzy Bennet, Elinor Dashwood and Catherine Morland. But if I wanted a comedic gathering, combining Mrs. Bennet, Miss Bates and Lady Bertram would probably be funny. Hmm. I wonder why Jane Austen makes her 'B' ladies the more annoying characters... Also, if I were very man-crazy, I would like to have my three favorite Austen men for tea: Mr. Tilney, Edward Farris and Mr. Knightley. Yes, you read that correctly, Mr. Darcy doesn't make my top list! For me, I think Mr. Tilney is the nicest, although I greatly esteem all of Austen's heros.
"Now I must give you one smirk, then we may be rational again." - Henry Tilney Northanger Abbey
 

6 comments:

  1. Lizzy,
    Thank for sharing about you...I just wondering if you could teach me to curl my hair like yours. Oh I'm just blown away that you also can sewing! Hmm we should talk for more sometimes :)
    I watched Winter's tale other day and thinking of you :)
    Anyway, I wish I could have Jane's novels in Indonesia. I should find them someday. I love that she always bring her character in stories, anyway, I am watching Emma from Jane Austen...but I havent finished either because of time, the movie that I downloaded has no translation that's why I couldnt finish watch it I used to hit reply of what they're saying lol.
    And oh! You are most beautiful creature on earth...I love your regency dress? :)
    I always love old fashioned. Thank for sharing the blog, I just followed her :)
    Hope you're doin well.
    Blessing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Delvalina!
      For my curls, I used these foam rollers, mostly the smaller ones for tight curls:
      http://www.amazon.com/Conair-61118z-Foam-Rollers-Pack/dp/B001KYS930
      I roll small sections of damp hair (almost dry) before I got to bed at night, and by morning, pretty curls!
      I love sewing! My mom taught me some, but I'm not as good at it as I wish I could be, I have lots more to learn!
      Jane Austen's novels are delightful, I hope you can read them all some day! Which version of Emma are you watching? My favorite is the 1996 movie with Gwyneth Paltrow, but the 2009 longer movie is good, too!
      Aw, thank you! I like my dress, too.
      I'm doing great, it's good to hear from you! =)

      Delete
  2. I love your hair! I love Lizzy and Lydia's hairstyles the best; I would not look well in all the tight, pulled back styles some of the girls wear even though the actual topnot itself looks pretty, Jane's for example with all the braids. I actually though Emma's hair in the 2009 version, the back part anyway was pretty. She did lack variety. Harriet's hair in that version drives my little sisters nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Livia! Yes, I like Lizzy and Lydia's hairstyles best for myself too, tightly pulled back looks stern on me. Emma's hair was just a little too puffy in my opinion, it seemed like it was progressing a little past regency style, and with a bit of the Edwardian "Gibson." I would have liked it pulled back just a little more firmly, and with more curly tendrils around her face. =)
      Harriet's hair is absolutely ridiculous! I do think it sort of fits her character, though.

      Delete
  3. Haha, Downton Abbey has also taught me that late Edwardian/20's era fashion can be very beautiful too! Though I still liked the dresses in the first series more than the 'shapeless' ones they start wearing in the current series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, I liked the earlier dresses too. The "shapeless" ones are still lovely material and beautiful, but I can't admire them as much because they would look terrible on me. ;)

      Delete