Monday, March 3, 2014

Sunflower Blogger Award

I have been nominated for the Sunflower Blogger Award by Livia Rachelle at Rose Petals and Faerie Dust. Thanks, Livia! I've been sadly neglecting my poor blog, and this was the perfect motivation to get back to blogging.

Rules
1. Share 11 facts.
2. Answer nominator's questions.
3. Set your own questions.
4. Nominate 11 more bloggers.

1. I am obsessed with my Irish heritage. I'm mostly plain English, small part German, small part Scotch-Irish and I have an American Indian great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother, but I'm a redhead, and my favorite part of my heritage is my fiery Irish blood.

2. My absolute favorite color is green (not surprising, I suppose, considering my first fact). I tend to gravitate to a lot of green clothes, but unfortunately, many different color greens, so they often clash. I'm trying to balance my colors.

3. Jane Austen is definitely my top favorite author, and I could happily read Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey and Emma in rotation if I were stranded on a desert island and wish for no other books but my Bible. 

4. Watching movie adaptations of Jane Austen's lovely stories is often very painful because I adore the books so much that despicable alterations ruin everything completely. As my review of Pride & Prejudice (2005) will attest.

5. I have had experience in gymnastics, lyrical, ballet and Broadway dance styles, performed in 8 theatre shows, swam on a competitive swim team for 5 years, played water polo, studied voice a little and studied piano since I was 8. At one time, I was participating in Broadway dance, theatre, voice, swim team, water polo and piano lessons all at the same time, with lessons, classes and practices for each at least one day every week (swimming was 3 days). I credit being homeschooled with my ability to experience all of those extra-curricular activities while not neglecting schoolwork. 

6. Health is one of my family's most passionate topics. I'm very interested in natural and holistic health care, and taking care of my body myself. I have not been to a doctor in over 20 years, so I haven't received any vaccinations or taken any drugs or antibiotics in that time.

7. I'm the eldest child of 5 (the last was a miscarriage, very sadly mourned) and being envious of all my friends with older brothers, I decided that it was probably better if the oldest child in a family is a boy. Still, for some reason God decided I should be the firstborn, so here I am, often bossy and annoying, but trying to be a good oldest sister.

8. I hate talking on the phone, and I finally realized that it's due to my introverted personality, and my intuitive side needing to see facial expressions and body language. I also am slow to come up with responses, which is more awkward over the telephone than in person when my face can help me communicate what I'm thinking before the words are ready.

9. I think binge-watching shows like Merlin and Chuck is really the best way to enjoy them, so after watching a few episodes of Atlantis I figured we should just wait a few years and then watch it all in one summer.

10. Food and flowers are probably my favorite subjects to photograph. I also love taking candid shots, but I feel a little weird about it, like I'm stalking the person. I'm really tempted to sneak shots of the adorable children of complete strangers... and I have occasionally actually done so.

11. I love to organize things, and I can be a little obsessive-compulsive about the way I clean. I always want to be efficient, quick and thorough, and if I fail, the perfectionist in me is unreasonably annoyed. 


~What are your favorite juvenile/Y.A. fiction favorites?
 Well, when I used to get books from the library a lot, my favorites from the Y.A. section were Nancy Drew mysteries, and the Christy Miller series by Robin Jones Gunn. I also own the entire Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard, a nice boxed set of the Anne of Green Gables collection, Left Behind "The Kids" series and every single book even slightly related to Laura Ingalls Wilder.

 ~Thoughts on cosmetics, conventional, natural, none?
 I wear natural cosmetics, but my face can't handle even the nicest natural foundation on a daily basis, so I almost never wear foundation.

~Would you homeschool your own children and how serious a decision is this for you? 
 Yes, I intend to homeschool my own children, and it's such a serious decision that it would probably be a deal-breaker for potential husband material if he didn't want to homeschool, at least when they're young. Maybe for high school I might consider sending my kids to school if there was a good option available.

~How do you feel about reading fad novels when they are popular such as Eragon, The Hunger Games, and The Book Thief? Do you discern serious differences in quality amongst them? Have you ever read and loved some before or after they were a fad? 
Okay, first, I have no objection to reading fad novels when they are popular, but I am wary about getting into them, simply because something that is popular isn't always likely to be to be something that I would approve or enjoy. 
In the case of your suggestions, I have read Eragon, and The Hunger Games series, and The Book Thief is sitting on my bookshelf waiting... in general, I think popular books are lacking in quality compared to classics (I am a Jane Austen fan, after all) but of your suggestions, I do think Eragon was quite a bit lacking. The Hunger Games I enjoyed immensely, but I still haven't figured out quite why. I'm thinking of doing a whole post on The Hunger Games series.
I don't know of any other books I may have read after the fad, in the case of the Harry Potter series and Twilight series, they didn't meet my parents' or my standard of approval, so no matter how much I might have enjoyed (or hated) them I will probably never know.

~If you could learn any language (fantasy, real and living, obscure, dead or dying) which would you learn?
 Well, I am obsessed with my Irish heritage, so if I could, I would learn Gaelic. The first verse of this song is in Gaelic:


Also, the beautiful scenery of Ireland has reminded me how desperately I long to go someday. I've decided that if I'm still single when I'm 30, I'm going to just go - by myself if I can't get anyone to go with me.

~If you could change your name to any name (again fantasy or real or obscure) what would it be?
I'm really quite happy with my own name, but with that disclaimer out of the way, Edana (fiery, zealous) and Shanessa (God is gracious) are probably my favorites. I have a whole list of Celtic names, just waiting for that someday when I might name my own children. And if I had to choose a new middle name, it would be Aine (joy). 


Now my own questions (I hope you don't mind my copying one of yours, Livia! I liked it so much, I simply must hear some more answers!)-

What name would you choose if you could or had to change your name?

What place in the world (time travel included) would you most like to visit? e. g. Paris in the 1920's, Egypt, 1500 B. C., etc.

How would you choose to spend a lovely, sunny spring day? 

What are three of your favorite books? Three favorite movies? Books that were made into movies?

Do you play an instrument? If so, which one? If not, is there an instrument you would like to learn?

What kind of pets/animals do have, if any? If none, would you like to have?


Now, I am going to nominate some other bloggers, but I'm not going to list them here. I will request that if they choose to participate, they come back with their link in the comments. 

This was fun! Thanks for nominating me, Livia!
 

14 comments:

  1. Fun facts, Lizzie! You put together a great post (hope to see you return to blogging) and how cool that you have had gymnastics/dance experience - sounds like a fun sport/hobby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rissi! I still love dancing and I wanted to keep doing gymnastics, but we moved. I had just gotten to some fun stuff on the bars and beam when we had to stop. =)

      Delete
  2. I had a blogging motivation too recently; Accordion to Kelly Literary Heroine Party helped give me the interest to start seriously blogging again.
    I am still waiting to discover Irish blood. We have Scottish, but I want Irish too. I love genealogy. Gaelic is one of the languages (top at the moment) I want to learn and want to name some of my children Irish names (not if they are trendy though). I don't mind about the question of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom tracked our genealogy on Ancestry.com when my cousin gave her a membership for Christmas (how we found out about our Native American ancestor) and it was very neat!
      I agree about trendy names. That's why I gravitate towards Celtic names, because most of them aren't (that I know of, anyway).

      Delete
  3. I caved. ;) http://lassofalltrades.blogspot.com/2014/03/so-i-caved-and-did-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Cheers! Glad you joined in! =D

      Delete
    2. And I finally finished reading your post -- I have most of the Mandie books too! Not all, as I quit buying them when I went to college, but quite a few. When I was like 12, I wrote Lois Gladys Leppard a fan letter, and she wrote me back! Very sweet.

      I agree that Eragon was not stellar, but the series improved a lot as it went along, and the last book was quite gripping.

      Delete
    3. The Mandie books were so much fun! I even have the first "College Years" book of the continuing series that Lois Gladys Leppard started before she passed away. That is so nice that she wrote you back!

      I thought the series improved a lot too, but I did think the third book needed more editing, it was too long for my taste, and I think I lost interest and never read the fourth.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for nominating me! I always enjoy doing tags so I am happy to participate.

    I have an Irish heritage that I'm obsessed with too! :D I also would love to learn Gaelic. I know a few words that my dad taught me (he was born in Ireland), but I still have so far to go.

    I want to go to Ireland too eventually. The last time I went was so long ago.

    I would definitely not read the Twilight series. In my opinion, they are some of the worst books ever written. :/

    My favorite color is also green!

    Oh, and also, I don't like Pride and Prejudice 2005 either. It did not sit well with me.

    Here is the link to mine :) http://climbingthealpinepath.blogspot.com/2014/03/sunflower-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yay, I'm glad you like tags!

      That is SO cool that your dad was born in Ireland! Also, how awesome that you have been to Ireland before! I really hope I will be able to make the trip someday.

      Hehehe, I agree about Twilight. I read like, one page in the bookstore just to see, and it was pretty terribly written in my opinion.

      Wow, we're just like Irish twins, or something! Isn't green a great color?? ;)

      *high five* I'm always excited to find someone who shares my dislike of P&P 2005! =D

      Delete
  6. I also really love Ireland, it's culture, history and language. And I don't even have an Irish heritage, I'm just plain Dutch (as far as I know).

    I was in Dublin two years ago and was surprised how many official things were written in Gaelic. It already started on the airport where 'Collect your luggage here' was written in both English and Gaelic. It really is the second language of the country, though unfortunately not a lot of people speak it in their daily lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think you're allowed to like other countries and their culture without having the heritage! ;)

      That's so cool that Gaelic is used often in Ireland! I was under the impression it wasn't used that much anymore. I really hope to visit someday!

      Delete