Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Word of the Year for 2015

Last year, my word for the year was "genuine." I think it was a successfully genuine year, I felt like I was able to let go of my worry about what people thought of me and just be myself. Now that I'm doing better about not putting up a front and being a fake, I need to work on who I really am.

Naturally, I have a temper to match my hair... or maybe even more fiery than my actually somewhat tame strawberry-blonde head. I let stupid little things, and irritating people get to me much too easily, my temper gets ruffled and I'm a mess. Or I stress out over minor issues, and work myself into a frenzy. Or I get hysterically upset over something. My emotions are like a roller coaster, and I'm getting too old to enjoy the ride.

I need serenity.

Photo cred: Rustic Meets Vintage (found on Pinterest)

Serenity :  the quality or state of being serene
Serene  :  clear and free of storms or unpleasant change
             :  shining bright and steady
             :  marked by or suggestive of utter calm and unruffled repose or quietude  

Peace.

Utter calm. 

Clear and free of storms.

No unpleasant mood changes.

Shining bright and steady.

 Unruffled repose and rest.

The joy of the LORD is my strength. (Nehemiah 8:10)

A beautiful sunrise at the beach, on my 21st birthday weekend...


Serenity encompasses so much to me that I was having difficulty choosing just one Bible verse, and of course, unlike "genuine" I don't think "serenity" is actually in the Bible, or at least it isn't in my edition. But why choose just one verse, anyway?

I think all the fruits of the spirit fall under serenity: "22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." - Galatians 5:22-23

Many Proverbs, like this one, inspire me: "A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back." - Proverbs 29:11

Serenity is dripping from Lamentations 3:22-24:
22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
    “therefore I will hope in him.”

 A great many Psalms also, of course - too many to choose just one. I may do more posts this year sharing more of the verses and things that I find to inspire serenity.

I'm also thinking of doing a Pinterest board for my year of serenity, you can find a link to my Pinterest on the sidebar if you're interested! 
  
Do you have a word of the year? Share in the comments! 

 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Lizzie. Though it is almost one month is getting over of 2015 yet let me wish you a very blessed, spirit filled, purpose driven and a very Christ centered New year. I am so glad and blessed to know you because of your love for the Lord and as a redeemed child of God. Well I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast whrere richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young poeple as well as adults fr om the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions tirp to work with us in the slums of Mumbai during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your other sisters to Mumbai during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you and your sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lizzie. Though it is almost one month is getting over of 2015 yet let me wish you a very blessed, spirit filled, purpose driven and a very Christ centered New year. I am so glad and blessed to know you because of your love for the Lord and as a redeemed child of God. Well I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast whrere richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young poeple as well as adults fr om the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions tirp to work with us in the slums of Mumbai during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your other sisters to Mumbai during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you and your sisters.

    ReplyDelete