Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Liebster Award!


Carissa from Musings of an Introvert tagged me. Thanks Carissa!
 
Here are the rules when nominated for a Liebster:
 a) Answer the eleven questions of the tagger.
 b) Share eleven facts about yourself
 c) Nominate up to eleven other bloggers
 d) Ask those nominees 11 new questions



Carissa's questions:
1. Where do you go to decompress from the world?
The beach is the best... but sometimes traveling into a book world helps. Wow, this made me realize that I really need a better decompression location, since we usually only go to the beach once or twice a year. I would like to be able to decompress once a week at least... actually, going to church works pretty well!

2. If given $10,000, what would you do with it?
Well, I'd love to say something spiritual, like donate it to missions or something, but I would be very tempted to use it for a trip to Ireland for my family... I've always wanted to go, and the idea of going without them just doesn't sound as appealing, but my goodness, is it expensive! I know, I've checked.

3. What is one major renovation you would love to make on your house?
I'm very excited about a sort of major renovation we just did, actually! It wasn't extremely costly, but it made a big difference to me. We replaced the windows in our guest room with doors that open onto the front porch, and turned the guest room into a piano studio! Now my students can come straight in, and we have a nice, quiet, private corner of the house for me to teach in, instead of having lessons in the middle of the open floor plan living room/sunroom/kitchen/dining area. It's fabulous! But if I could do another, I'd like to add a dormer window to my sister's and my bedroom... it's got one small window, that doesn't let in much light, and we've wanted to add dormers every since we moved in, but it's too expensive... even more than the $10,000 I was offered in the last question!

4. What is one movie that you love and didn't expect to love?
Guardians of The Galaxy! My sister and brothers were all super excited about it, I personally thought the trailer looked pretty blah, and even though I liked Chris Pratt and agreed to see the movie because he was in it, I was not expecting to love him and the movie so much! The characters and the great camaraderie they finally have at the end was great. And the music fit surprisingly well, I particularly loved the opening credits sequence. But the whole movie was a great surprise!

 


5. What is the oldest knick-knack you own and what is its sentimental value?
This little blue glass bird is probably the oldest. I remember seeing it an Nana's beach cottage one day, when we were visiting. I was absolutely mesmerized by it's beautiful, rich blue, and how it caught rays of light. I also liked how it felt in my small hands, so heavy and smooth, and exactly the right size to wrap my hand around. I was old enough to know better, but I begged Nana for it anyway, and amidst my parents' embarrassed attempts to silence me, she agreed. I felt a little guilty about it for a few years, but now that spoiled little girl is just a distant memory, and while I laugh at her, I'm also quite grateful to have this knick-knack that reminds me of Nana (now in heaven) and her quaint old beach cottage at Atlantic Beach.

6. Do you own any books you keep out of obligation, but actually hate?
Well, unfortunately, I've come to have a distaste for my Elsie Dinsmore collection. My mom bought them all for me when I was young. I was a voracious reader, and greatly enjoyed reading all 28 of them as speedily as I could. Elsie's extreme goodness always shamed me, since I was a very "naughty" and "willful" young girl (like LuLu, for anyone who's read the books!) but I was also inspired to behave better, and to read my Bible more diligently by Elsie. Then, not too many years ago, I tried to read them again, and was disturbed to discover that Elsie had many flaws, including some that the author didn't seem to intend as flaws (I can only vaguely remember examples, so I won't go into detail) and that I was very saddened to discover. I have an Elsie doll as well, and it's such a fond memory from my childhood, I could never get rid of them. But I don't think I'll ever be able to love them like I did before.

7. How many countries have you visited outside of the one you live in now?
Um, none. Sadly... Did I mention that I would desperately love to go to Ireland? Or anywhere in Europe. Or New Zealand. Or somewhere tropical. But no, I've barely been to 11 states.

8. Have you ever read only part of a book, but claimed you've read the whole thing?
Well, I read this copy of The Count of Monte Cristo that I believed was complete, but I finally discovered was abridged, only after I was almost done! But it was so long, even though it was abridged, that I still claim having read it, and I don't really want to read it again just to read the unabridged version.

9. Dry climate or humidity?
Ugh, right now, dry! But when winter comes and my lips are chapped, I'll wish for humidity. How about a nice, perfect medium?

10. Sherlock Holmes or John Watson and why?
Oh no, I can't pick! I love them both too dearly, for their own reasons. John because his reactions to Sherlock are similar to what I think mine would be, so I relate to him more, and he's what keeps Sherlock from seeming too crazy. Sherlock because I am thrilled by his brilliance, amazed by his casual arrogance, and touched by the caring heart that is hidden very carefully under a thick shell of sharp wit and all the mean things he says sometimes.

11. Why did you decide to start blogging?
Well, when I started my original blog (The Random Digressors, shared with my sister Sarah) it was just because all my real-life friends were blogging, and I didn't want to miss out on the fun! This was before Facebook took over the internet world, and when that happened all our blogs kind of faded... but I really enjoyed writing, so I created this blog. It started out as unfortunate evidence of my pride (look for the label "The dream" over on the right if you want to catch up on my blog's name and web address conflict) and God has used it to grow me in so many ways, including teaching me a lot through the more serious posts that I felt compelled to write. It's amazing how much I discover I didn't really understand until I try to write about something! But after I write it all, I understand my own thoughts and what I believe so much more clearly.


Now my 11 facts:
1. I am abnormally delighted by folding fitted sheets.
2. I am bit on the crazy side when it comes to healthy lifestyle.
3. My non-existent college degree only bothers me when it bothers other people.
4. Contra dancing is my favorite social outing.
5. Although I've loved to play classical piano music for many years, I've only recently acquired the taste to listen to it on the radio.
6. I crave the beach (we're going soon! Hooray!) and early morning sunrises.
7. My heritage is only a small part Irish, but I am extremely pleased that it manifests itself through my red hair and green eyes.
8. I drive a Volvo, and I am much too attached to it. Good thing I didn't name it...
9. I'm enjoying learning to tune pianos more than I thought I would! Which is good, because it's also taking much longer than I anticipated.
10. I am addicted to Jane Austen and just finished rereading Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility for the __th time... I've lost count. But it's somewhere between ten and twenty (I can't seem to read one without soon after reading the other... hmm...)
11. I am a redeemed child of the one true King, washed pure in the blood of my Savior and filled with the Holy Spirit, and that's the greatest fact about me there is!

Now this is where I break the rules. (Sorry...) I'm not very good at coming up with questions, and I don't have 11 people to tag anyway, so if you haven't received this award yet, and you read all the way here, congratulations! You're tagged, and you may answer Carissa's great questions!

 

3 comments:

  1. This is such a fun tag. I just can't imagine enjoying folding fitted sheets. Those things are the bane of my existence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was lots of fun! Thanks for stopping in. Check out this pin on folding fitted sheets, this is what made it so enjoyable for me! https://www.pinterest.com/pin/68046644346069962/

      Delete
  2. Great answers, Lizzie!

    I agree that church can be a great place to decompress. Sunday morning worship is amazing.

    Congrats on the new renovation. It's always so nice getting something done that's really needed to be done, and improves the house.

    My sister knew she would LOVE Guardians of the Galaxy the moment she watched the trailer. I wasn't so sure and it's taken me at least 3 viewings to admit I'm fond of it.

    The knicknack from your Nana is beautiful.

    Elsie Dinsmore. I only read the first book and I was an older teen when I did. It made me quite uncomfortable and not in a good, spiritual lesson kind of way. Maybe we felt the same way about it, although I do hate it when something you love as a child loses its shine and appeal.

    I hope you're able to visit Ireland someday. I'd love to visit it too, along with a dozen other places. My one visit outside the US was to Canada for 3 hours back before they required passports. My travel experience leaves much to be desired.

    Thanks for answering the tag!

    ReplyDelete